Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Your Holy Scriptures are Important

                                                                                                                               




Holy Writ is Meant to Be Read



I was told by someone a few months back that it doesn't matter how many times I have read the Book of Mormon; all that matters is if I keep the commission of Jesus to do well unto others: things that are found in the Gospel of Matthew chapter 25.

I want you all to know that it is through reading scriptures that are found in Holy Writ that I have come to understand how I can live a more Godly life and how I can serve as Jesus would have me do. Do I fall short? Yes. But I can attest that I do make better decisions because I do value what is written in the Book of Mormon, and in the Old and the New Testaments, in the Doctrine and Covenants, and in the Pearl of Great Price. And these books remind me of who I am and who my Heavenly Father is and what my relationship is to Him. They give me hope, joy, comfort, direction, and peace.

In a day when having secular sophistry is more valued than having faithful humility, I would encourage everyone who believes in Holy Writ to not abandon your sacred books. They will bring you confidence to face the challenges of today's world, and they will serve to lead you in righteous paths and bring you peace. Also, they will fortify you against the attacks of those who deem your religious choices as folly. We cannot be dressed in the armor of God to stand against the wiles of the devil without reading our scriptures (See Ephesians 6).

I also believe in modern-day prophets. President Monson is the current prophet in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I value what he says, because I believe that he speaks to us directly for the Lord, just like the prophet Moses did anciently. It seems that most prophets are not accepted during their own times and among their own people. But I feel the Spirit when he speaks to the church, and so I value what he has to say and accept it as the Lord's words and His will. Having a lighthouse in the midst of a constant tempest is a valuable thing. We can stay rooted and directed and keep moving in the right direction.

This blogpost is not so much an invitation for you to believe as I believe, even though I would welcome questions or be happy to talk to you about that; it is more of a plea for you to hold onto the things that you know in your heart are right and correct--the things that you value as sacred; the things that you've proven to be of value. Don't allow yourself to be sidetracked from what you know to be true; plus, embrace truth wherever you find it, and shun those things that you know are contrary to truth.

So if you have Holy Writ or scripture that you esteem as sacred, hold to it and read it. Don't let anyone dissuade you from the Word of God and tell you that it is not important to read His words. You cannot know His words without reading them, and you cannot remember them and incorporate them into your soul and your being without reading them many times. Listen to the Spirit within you. When you are prompted by Light and Truth, do not ignore it, but follow the impulses you have to do good.

Never has there been a day when it is more important to be literate and to choose uplifting things to read. Your soul needs the spiritual nourishment and enrichment found in the scriptures in order for it to thrive or even survive these morally challenging times. I believe that if we could all recommit ourselves to prayer, scripture study, and mediation, we could bring about a mighty change in this world, beginning with ourselves and circling outward to embrace so many others. If your Holy Books are on a shelf or in a box, will you locate them and make them a part of your daily life? Miracles will happen if we all do that. Let's do it.

2 comments:

  1. I like this post, and I've thought about scriptural literacy a lot. For me, I find that the main reason why scriptural knowledge is so important is because of this scripture: "And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith." (Doctrine and Covenants 88:118).

    As we seek the scriptures - one of the very best books, our faith will be strengthened.

    I think that there have been times when such scriptural knowledge may not have been quite as imperative. The scriptures have not always been widely available.

    But even as I write this, I recognize that the scriptures have always been important. Christ quotes scripture to the Devil when he is tempted. Nephi is instructed to slay Laban for the scriptures - that if he doesn't secure the word of God, a whole nation would dwindle and perish in unbelief.

    We now live during a time with rampant wickedness and so many influences. I have found that the only way for me to keep striving is through feasting on the words of Christ. They truly strengthen my faith and help me overcome the temptations that easily beset me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I also think if we ignore the scriptures in favor of other literature, then we will just be ever learning and never coming to a knowledge of the truth. (2 Timothy 3:7)Or we will become as those described in 2 Nephi 9:28-29, who think they are wise, but their wisdom is foolishness. The scriptures help us to remember to hearken to the counsels of God.

      Thanks for sharing. I feel strengthened by your insights.

      Delete