Friday, May 10, 2013

I'm Thankful for Mom

I am thankful that Mom converted to the Church at 16-years-old. I am thankful that she already had studied the Bible and recognized the truth. I am thankful that she left old family traditions that were detrimental in that past and carried good family traditions with us into the future.

I am thankful that Mom answered the many questions that I had as a followed her around the house. I am thankful that Mom taught me how to work in the house and in the yard. I am thankful that she taught me the importance of play. I am thankful that she always offered ways to earn some extra money when we wanted it for something good.

I am thankful that Mom was careful when necessary and daring when adventures were necessary. I am thankful that she jumped off the cliff into the Green River, so that I had to do so, to prove that I wouldn’t be outdone by Mom in front of my peers. I am thankful that she dove off of high dive, so I would, too. I am thankful that she made me speak for myself on the phone and at other times.

I am thankful that Mom took me to Church. I am thankful that Mom encouraged me to learn, but never pushed me too hard. I am thankful that Mom believed in Mental Health Days and allowed me to spend time at home with her when I didn’t really feel like being at school. (No, this didn’t happen too often; but back then, the school districts did not claim ownership of the child.)

I am thankful that Mom sought out ways to give me opportunities that she never had herself, and she made them happen. I am thankful that Mom let me make my own choices and choose my own friends. I am thankful that Mom taught me to see the value in all people.

I am thankful that Mom has always loved me. I love you, Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment