Sunday, January 24, 2016

An Angel Kiss

There are Angels Among Us



Recently my dear mother passed away. Even though I know that it is temporary, it has been one of the greatest losses I have ever felt. There are so many intricacies linked to who I am and to how I became me that all revolve around her. She probably is nearer to me now, and can help me more, than she could in her last few years; but the absence of her physical presence leaves my heart wounded.

She’s an angel now, as ever she has been. And I have to acknowledge that even though I cannot see her, she still lives on in and through Jesus Christ just as we all do. My sadness should be washed away in the face of all the goodness I still see and feel all around me. In time, in the Lord’s time, all tears will be washed away (see Revelation 21:4). So I have to believe that even my sadness can serve a heavenly purpose if I turn to Him.

It was a blessing for me to be able to spend the last three weeks of my mother’s life with her and near her. I saw more of her unblemished soul in such a purified state. Her body was old and done, but her angel spirit was true and pure. Oh, how I long to be more like her.

The family time during these weeks and the couple weeks after her death are priceless. I’m glad that I could visit with siblings. I’m glad that the funeral went according to my mother’s plans. I’m glad for the memories and love shared. I’m glad for the tender, loving example of my father who willingly gave his wife back to the Lord.

And then I had to drive back home. That was hard. It was hard to leave my childhood home and my family of origin, knowing that next time I return, my mother will not be there to welcome me.

My husband had left all the mail on the table before he took a flight to come for the funeral time. So when I got home, there was a small pile of mail waiting for me to open.

And there was a package. In opening this gift from one of my dearest friends, I was reminded, that there are indeed angels among us, both seen and unseen, both mortal and immortal; and Christ’s love is watching over us and protecting and healing us all.

I opened this small present to find a charm bracelet. It’s made by Hallmark, and it has a Hershey kiss on it. When I first looked at it, I did not see a kiss; I saw an angel. I thought that the link was a head, the kiss was the robed body, and the Hershey tag was the wings. I still see it that way as well as the kiss. To me this bracelet represents both an angel and a kiss of friendship; or even more than that, it’s an angel’s kiss. I cherish my friendship with the angel who sent me this bracelet; and I will be reminded of her healing thoughtfulness each time I look at it and wear it.

The gifts we give each other do more good than we ever realize. My friend’s gift to me is a reminder of that. If we will be sensitive in following the Holy Spirit, our gifts will be timely and healing and far-reaching; and we will be as angels to one another, as we aid each other on our mortal journey.

So thank you, Dear Friend, for the angel kiss. Besides being a representation of your friendship to me; it will be a representation of all the angels in my life, in earthly or heavenly form that I cannot see daily. And as I see the bracelet and feel it on my wrist I will know that angels are near and that the Lord’s love and mercy are always with me, and he will always send his angels to be beside me.

Hebrews 13:2:

2 Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

For Christmas, my friend sent me a heart bead for the bracelet with the word love on it. Because that was God’s first Christmas present to us; He loved us so He sent His Son.

John 3:16-17:

16 ¶For God so loved the world, that he gave his onlybegotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.






No comments:

Post a Comment