Thursday, January 21, 2016

Jesus Makes Up the Difference


Jesus Makes Up the Difference in My Life


Drink It Up

Where do you draw the line? 


We all have so much in common in this life. We share similarities in family life, work, recreation, culture, happiness, sorrow, and so much more. Of course, we all have our own mindset, our own spirituality, our own gifts and talents, and our own way of interpreting the world around us. But we all share this wonderful human experience together.

Our understanding and our attitudes can make a profound difference in our perceptions and our ability to experience joy. We all know the proverbial cliché of whether the glass is half-empty or half-full. Either way, the level marker on the glass remains the same. So what makes up the difference for you?

I know who makes up the difference for me. It is my Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ. My glass would forever run dry if it weren’t for His living water. I’d like to share a couple of scriptures that come to mind.

Alma teaches us how we can begin to develop faith in Jesus Christ. The entire chapter of Alma 32 is great, but this verse carries the import of my message. Alma 32:7:

But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words.


I know that it is my faith in Jesus Christ that has made me feel whole, even when I am broken. Even when I feel like less than a half a glass because of personal losses or shortcomings, He can make me feel whole.

Our attitudes often reflect our hope and our faith. When we do not feel conflicted, it is much easier for us to maintain a positive outlook, holding on to those important things that help us to feel happy and desire to share happiness. I guess our attitudes could be compared to a water catalyst or enhancer, expanding our little bit into something greater.

When I feel diminished, when I feel like my cup is running dry, that is the time that I know I need to turn to the Lord to be replenished. Isn’t it interesting even that the symbols of His sacrament are bread and water. Not only do they represent His body and blood which He gave for us in His atonement and death; they represent Jesus as the Bread of Life and our Living Water.

John 6:35:

And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

John 4:14

But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.


Our spirits, like our bodies, need constant nourishment; and, we cannot give up eating and drinking. So our cup needs to be replenished. Whether we feel that our glass is half-empty or half-full, we need to drink in order for it to be replenished.

2 Nephi 31:20:

Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.


I’m thankful for a Savior in my life. He is my personal Savior; and, He is yours as well. I know that because of our Heavenly Father’s love, Jesus was sent to make up the difference for all of us. He can turn darkness into light, night into day, death into life, sadness in to joy, and despair into hope. When you think about that glass of water, remember to drink it up, because it is His good pleasure to give us more.

No comments:

Post a Comment